Thursday, March 26, 2015

Weekender

Originally when asked to join a new Harold Team after Villain I declined. I was not ready to jump on another team right away. I had just been on an amazing team that was as close a team as I've ever been on besides a team with my best friend and my brother that I had been on for years.  I also wanted some time away from Harolds. 

I really felt I wouldn't do any more Harolds beyond Heraldo before I left town. That changed one night after about 3 weeks of being away and declining the team they put me on. I was asked to sit in with a team that was low on numbers.  Their name was Weekender, The given name they had from the Harold Commission and they had not changed it.  At iO you are first given a place holder name when your team is first made and usually what happens is the team changes it before their first show.  Its not the case for all but most teams have their new name by that first show or shortly after.  Most of the time teams change their names but in Weekenders case they were having way too much fun and it just became easier to keep it as they were getting known for it.  

After being away from Harolds a short time and being away from Villain I didn't have high hopes for the show.  That all changed in an instant right from the warm up.  Just some of the kindest and funniest people you will ever meet.  They were so welcoming of me right away and we played a really great show.  Then they had another show a week later and I played that show and it was a blast.  Then it just kept happening. Its been a total blast to play with them and they make such cool moves throughout the show that everyone jumps on real hard.  

They have a great coach in Jon Butts and he really pushes for Weekender to have a good time while also doing good work that is interesting.  When I was asked to become a regular on the team I explained that I was leaving to Miami to open a theater as it was not common knowledge yet.  Jon and the team were so kind to let me keep playing each week until I leave.  In the short time I have been with them Weekender has done some really cool shows and they have a super bright future ahead of them.  

It was nice to have another experience with the Harold beyond Villain and Heraldo.  It truly is always different and changes so much based on who you play with.  Thanks for the great times and friendship Weekender!  Hope to see you all down in Miami soon!

-Jeff Quintana
Artistic Director
Villain Theater

No comments:

Post a Comment