Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Annoyance And Villain Theater

My time is running short in Chicago but I saved the best for last. I am finally able to train with Mick Napier in his advanced improv class. I started at The Annoyance almost 5 years ago and actually was doing their classes before iO. I read Micks book Improvise back in 2006 and it made a huge impression on me. 

I got more from his book then any other I had read on improv before or since.  I still use The Annoyance techniques when I play at iO because it really defined my style.  Now that I am on the final levels it's nice to bring the most clear version of a method towards my madness.
I have a very weird style of play. I have never been the player that wouldn't listen or take care of my scene partner though. You can make strong choices for yourself and still be supportive of your fellow players.

I am lucky enough that Mick was wonderful and willing to help me look over my curriculum for Villain Theater. I have been building this curriculum for the last 6 years and thrown some pieces of iO and some pieces of Annoyance along with my own exercises to help students become what I believe to be a very complete improviser. He gave a couple of ideas for changes and additions and I am happy to include them.

It was nice meeting minds with one of the best in the biz when it comes to teaching improvisation. I am honored to be in his class and I have learned a lot in just a couple of weeks. It is my hope I can bring that same education to the performers of Miami. Mick has been nothing but complimentary of my work and just the most gracious off stage. He also has just an amazing eye for what I and others can do to be better at improvising.

A class act on and off stage. He is fiercely honest and I appreciate that a lot. I have always tried to be as kind and honest as I can be with everyone I meet. Seeing the success of someone who has been in the game much longer really gives me high hopes for the future of Villain Theater. With passion, vision, skill, and hard work, anything is possible.

- Jeff Quintana
Artistic Director
Villain Theater

No comments:

Post a Comment