Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Tallest Midget

As my time living in Chicago comes to a close I find myself seeing lots of shows and getting bits of wisdom passed on to me.  I have a real fear of losing my edge once I move. I literally get to see some of the best improvisers in the world and in some cases perform with them as well on a weekly basis.  I have to keep reminding myself that I have never been satisfied with mediocre improv. Definitely I have had bad shows and because of the nature of improvisation I will continue to have bad shows and amazing shows.

It's the nature of the art form that some nights will be better then others. The only constant is that I come in focused and try as hard as I can to do the best work possible every time I have the opportunity to be on stage. I see so many take for granted the fact that people have paid to see them and that they get to perform in front of a crowd.

In Miami there is some great work happening but like anywhere outside of Chicago it is difficult to compare to the place where the art form was created and is always evolving. There is so much improv and so many different kinds of improv happening in Chicago that it truly makes it so you could be here forever learning something new every year.

In Miami I have the opportunity to bring down a lot of what I have learned and formulated into an amalgam of all the styles of improvisation I've learned in this almost 6 year journey. I spent some time training in NY and then moved on to immerse myself in the Chicago improv scene.
A good friend and mentor to me and many said something to me recently when I was talking to him about the move.  It was very simple, " Don't settle for being the tallest Midget, do the best work possible and always be growing. That's how you keep your edge wherever you go."  By tallest midget he is referring to the fact that in smaller improv markets it's very easy for people to become "The Guy" and be content with sitting at the top of a small hill.

I will never be content. There is always another level to get to. There is always something to improve on. There is always something to learn. One year you haven't been nailing your object work so you work on that. The next year your object work is great but you find you aren't being as physical. There is always something. There is always something to work on in an art form that is different every time we walk on stage.

Never get comfortable. Always be risking it all. That has been my path for improvisation and applying that philosophy to my daily life has made for a very fulfilling time on this Earth. Love and bravery will set us all on the best path.

-Jeff Quintana
Artistic Director
Villain Theater

No comments:

Post a Comment